Chilli Con Quorn-e
As you can tell by the recipe title, I’m a lover of puns, who isn’t! I wish I could have a pun for every recipe I create, this could be my niche!
If you’ve never tried Quorn™ before, what are you waiting for!? It’s so much more convenient than using meat in a recipe, as you can just cook it straight from frozen! How easy does that make life!? No defrosting, no worrying about using it up because you forgot you took it out and left it in the fridge!? I’ve been guilty of doing this so many times, nobody likes gone off meat smell!
Chilli shares something in common with Quorn, versatility, what can you serve it with? What can’t you serve it with! Rice, Quinoa, Tortilla Wraps, Nachos, a sandwich filler the list is actually endless. And being such a damn easy recipe, as I love making life easier for you guys, anyone can make this, so let’s go through how!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 heaped tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 500g Quorn Mince (http://www.quorn.co.uk/food/cook-from-scratch/meat-free-mince)
- 1 veg stock cube
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 can kidney beans
- Grab a large Saucepan (or frying pan you can cover with a lid). On a medium heat, pour the Oil of choice into the pan, I recommend Rapeseed or, Canola if you’re American. As the nutrient profile is great, the flavour is nice and nutty and most importantly, it has a higher smoking point over Olive Oil which is always good when cooking!
- Once the oil has heated up, pop your chopped onions, garlic cloves, red peppers, 1-2tsp hot chilli powder (depending on your spice tolerance!), paprika and cumin into your cooking vessel of choice. Stir together and fry for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add your Quorn from frozen into the pan and stir into all the spicy goodness.
- Once stirred, add your tomatoes, stock, marjoram, sugar (or sweetener), tomato puree and lots of seasoning. Once brought to a boil, put your lid on, reduce to a simmer (slight bubbles) and cook for 30 minutes, but check on it every 10 in case the water is running low, I don’t want you burning your house down!!
- Bring on the beans! Add the kidney beans into the pan, and mix together, simmer for 10 minutes uncovered. BOOM! There you have it, Chilli Con Quorn-e!